Structural steel fabrication is the process of bending, cutting, and modelling steel to form a structure. For structural steel fabrication pieces of steel are put together to make different structures that are usually of predefined sizes and shapes. It is a complex process that requires specialized knowledge, skills, and resources to complete successfully.
Application of structural steel fabrication in construction
Structural steel is a high quality material and many applications depend solely on it for its construction. Its application area include;
- High-rise buildings
- Industrial Buildings
- Residential Buildings
- Parking Garages
Advantages of structural steel fabrication
- Steel is highly durable, it is corrosion resistant and tensile. The strength of steel is higher than its density which makes it an excellent choice for construction.
- Structural steel usually arrives in the pre-fabrication phase and is fabricated on-site. Pre-fabrications reduce how much work needs to be done on-site, fast-tracking projects.
- Structural steel is cost-effective when compared to other metals such as copper, silver, gold, aluminum and magnesium.
- The components of structural steel are easy to install after fabrication, so with increased efficiency in the installation process, a considerable amount of money and time is saved.
- Steel metallurgical properties enable it to be fabricated into any shape and size with ease. Steel structures are fabricated by welding or bolting them together.
- Structural steel is coated with a fire resistant material which makes it highly resistant to fire. It is water resistant. It can withstand storms, and earthquakes if built properly.
- Structural steel components are built off-site, thereby reducing the chances of any accidents on site. It is resistant to molds and termites which makes it a good choice.
- Structural steel is easily recyclable and is, therefore, an environment-friendly option for metal fabricators.
- Structural steel is a practical choice for a wide range of designs from simple to complex.
- Steel provides significant cost savings, ROI for structural steel is closely associated with its strength and reliability